Apple Watch update stuck on preparing? You’re not alone. In this post, I’ll look into the common reasons behind this issue and provide effective, step-by-step solutions to get your Apple Watch back on track.
Say goodbye to the update woes and hello to a seamlessly updated Apple Watch.
Table of Contents
Apple Watch Update Stuck on Preparing Fix
If your Apple Watch update is stuck on “preparing or verifying,” there are several things you can try to fix the issue:
- Make sure your Apple Watch is connected to its charger: Your Apple Watch needs to be connected to its charger to update. If it’s not, connect it and try the update again.
- Restart your Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off, then drag the slider. To turn your watch on again, press and hold the side button.
- Restart your Paired iPhone: After restarting your Apple Watch, restart the paired iPhone.
- Unpair your Apple Watch: You may need to unpair the watch, which will wipe it clean, create a backup, and provide enough space for the update to download. After unpairing, try the update again.
- Check your iPhone’s software: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS and that it’s connected to Wi-Fi. Keep your iPhone near your Apple Watch throughout the update. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete, so you might want to update overnight or wait until you have time.
- Update your Apple Watch manually: You can update your Apple Watch manually using your iPhone. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab. Tap General > Software Update. Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it. Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete. Leave your Apple Watch on its charger while the update completes. Don’t restart your iPhone or Apple Watch, and don’t quit the Apple Watch app. When the update completes, your Apple Watch restarts on its own.
If none of these steps work, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Why should I update my Apple Watch?
Apple Watch comes with a strong update cycle, with new features and software being included to give you a delightful experience. If you have the latest Apple Watch hardware, you’re guaranteed a ton of features and improvements.
For instance, if you update to watchOS 8, the Always-On Display will allow you to read notifications without raising your wrist. Another crucial feature in Apple Music allows you to tap the play button and receive an immediate response. Unlike previous versions, you had to tap the display once to wake the screen and again to enjoy your favorite tunes.
Additionally, updating your Apple watch gives you access to new exercise and fitness features that help you realize your goals faster. Although these are minor upgrades, there are a lot of features that will help you stay healthy and informed.
Related: Whoop Strap vs Apple Watch 7
How long does the Apple Watch take to update?
Your Apple Watch should not take more than an hour, but if it takes more than three hours, something might be wrong. Ensure that your Apple Watch is charged at least 50% and it’s connected to a charger. Additionally, your iPhone and Watch must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
How to Apple Watch (Steps)
You can start updating your Watch, but you cannot finish the update without a paired iPhone. So ensure you have one in hand before you start.
- Press the Digital Crown to access the main menu.
- Go to the Settings icon and click to show a new menu.
- Click on the General option and tap on the Software Update. This should show all updates available. If none, you’ll see “Apple Watch up to date.”
- Choose Download & Install to start the update. You need your paired iPhone in the next step.
- Your Watch will ask you to confirm installation via the phone app. So you have to launch the app.
- Tap on the General settings on your main screen.
- Choose the Software Update option. You should be able to tap on ‘Install.’ Before you start the update, ensure that your Watch is connected to a charger and has at least 50%. Also, ensure that your Watch is close to your iPhone and is using the same Wi-Fi network.
- After the update, your Apple Watch will be updated to the latest watchOS.
Why won’t my Apple Watch update?
If your Apple Watch won’t update make sure that your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS and that your Apple Watch is at least 50% charged.
Also, ensure that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and that your Apple Watch is near your iPhone throughout the update.
If the update won’t start, try restarting your Apple Watch and paired iPhone, and then try again to update your Apple Watch.
If the issue persists, you can try deleting the update file and then attempting to update your Apple Watch again.
If none of these steps work, you can try updating your Apple Watch manually by opening the Watch app on your iPhone and tapping on General > Software Update. If an update is available, tap Download and Install.
If your Apple Watch still won’t update, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Is My Apple Watch Too Old to Update?
You need to ensure that your iPhone and Apple Watch aren’t outdated. The watchOS is only compatible with Apple Watch Series 1 or later. You also need an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.
What Happens if I Take Apple Watch Off Charger While Updating?
As long as the battery doesn’t die when updating, your Apple Watch will continue with the update. However, you should not disconnect the charger until the updating process is complete.
If your Apple Watch update is stuck on preparing, the tips above will help you fix the problem. Ensure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are always up-to-date for the best user experience.