Does your Fitbit band have an off-putting odor, or is it dirty and stained? Is your Fitbit screen dusty and filled with fingerprints? If so, it’s time to give your Fitbit a thorough cleaning.
To avoid skincare problems and to prevent bands from developing a bad smell over time, I’ll show you how to keep your Fitbit band clean and get the most out of your device.
- 1 Why You Should Clean Your Fitbit Band Regularly
- 2 How to Clean Fitbit Band
- 3 How to Clean Fitbit Screen
- 4 How do I get the smell out of my Fitbit band?
- 5 Conclusion
Why You Should Clean Your Fitbit Band Regularly
Fitbits are exposed to sweat during your everyday workouts, not to mention the bacteria that may cause skin irritation and unpleasant odors.
Fitbit picks up more dirt than other types of watches, so it is crucial to keep them clean. Ensure you wipe them clean after working out, and deep clean them at least once a month. This will help them stay in better shape and look better, and you can enjoy wearing them for years to come.
When you leave your Fitbit lying around, it can get dirty. If it’s very dirty, then it won’t work very well, which is a real shame. This is why you need to know how to clean Fitbit.
Related: Best Fitbit for Women
How to Clean Fitbit Band
If you want to keep your fitness tracker or smartwatch in perfect shape, you need to clean your wrist and band regularly.
Cleaning your Fitbit band will vary depending on the type of material used. Fitbit discourages the use of cleaning wipes, soap, and the like because they may get under the strap and cause skin irritation.
Here are some general tips on how to maintain different Fitbit bands.
How to Clean Leather Fitbit Bands
Leather is a naturally porous material and is prone to discoloration. To prevent stains, avoid wearing it during extreme workouts and don’t expose it to skin cream, perfume, excess water, or insect repellent.
Here’s how to clean leather bands:
- Wipe it down using a soft and dry cloth after a workout. If necessary, use little water to moisten the cloth. Never soak a leather band in water.
- For deep cleaning, use a small amount of soap and a damp cloth. Ensure that the cloth is damp, not wet. Rub the band gently with the damp cloth in a circular motion. Never use body wash, hand wash, hand wipes, and laundry detergent. Instead, you can use a gentle soap like Cetaphil.
- To eliminate any soap residue, rinse the cloth thoroughly and wipe the band with the moist cloth.
- Allow the band to dry before wearing it again. If possible, apply a skin-safe leather conditioner.
How to Clean Metal Fitbit Bands
Metals bands are ideal for daily use, but they aren’t sweat-resistant or waterproof. Therefore, you should never soak them.
To clean a metal Fitbit band, use a non-abrasive lint-free cloth. If needed, dampen the cloth using a little water. Allow the band to dry before wearing it again.
However, don’t expose the band to high temperatures or direct sunlight.
Related: Best Fitbit for Men
How to Clean Silicone Fitbit Bands
Silicone bands are breathable and perforated. Fitbit doesn’t give clear instructions on how to clean these bands but recommends using the same instructions for cleaning elastomer bands.
How to Clean Elastomer Fitbit Bands
Elastomer bands are perfect for high-intensity workouts, which also means they can gather bacteria and sweat, which causes skin irritation and odors. Therefore it’s advisable to clean them after working out.
- To clean elastomer bands, wipe the band using a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol or rinse it with running water.
- For deep cleaning or removing stains, use a moist, soft brush to scrub the band. You can use a soap-free product, like Cetaphil cleanser, to achieve your desired results.
- Use a clean cloth to dry the band before wearing it again.
How to Clean Nylon Fitbit Bands
Nylon bands are great for daily wear, but they aren’t the best for high-intensity workouts due to stains and oil buildup.
To clean a nylon Fitbit band, wipe it using a soft and dry cloth after wearing it. If necessary, rinse it under cold running water and use gentle soap for impressive results.
After cleaning, leave the band to dry, but don’t expose it to direct sunlight when drying.
Always remember that Fitbit trackers are water-resistant but not waterproof. Unless you have a fully waterproof model, don’t expose the watch face to running water. If it is exposed to water, dry it off instantly.
How to Clean Fitbit Screen
To clean a Fitbit screen use a soft piece of cloth to wipe the dirt and the visible fingerprints. This helps If your get rid of the stubborn dirt and fingerprints. However, to protect your screen from dirt and scratches, go for a Fitbit screen protector.
How do I get the smell out of my Fitbit band?
Fitbit bands are expensive and should be cleaned with great care using the right products. If your Fitbit band gives out a bad odor, you need to give it a deep cleaning. To clean your Fitbit band, follow the steps I’ve discussed above. However, each strap type’s maintenance varies slightly, so you need to determine the best method that works for your Fitbit band.
Tracking your fitness levels is a great way to keep you active. But for the Fitbit to keep you healthy and in top shape, you have to do the same to it. Instead of accumulating dirt and sweat for months, remember to take it off and give it a deep cleaning.