The Fitbit is an effective and reliable fitness tracker, but it needs some updates after some time. These updates offer new features, bug fixes, and functionality improvements.
In this post, I’ll explain what a Fitbit app is, how to update Fitbit, and what to do if your Fitbit fails to update.
Table of Contents
What is a Fitbit?
A Fitbit is an activity tracker that’s worn on the wrist and tracks your daily activities, whether you run, walk, swim, work out at the gym, or cycle. There are some models that can track your sleep, heart rate, and menstrual cycle. Other models have fun extras like on-screen workouts, text and app notifications, and Fitbit Pay.
Related: Best Fitbit for Women
What is Fitbit App?
The Fitbit app is among the best Fitbit products. It’s available for iOS, Android, and desktop. You must install the Fitbit app on your phone to pair your Fitbit tracker. You’ll use the Fitbit app to monitor your fitness and health stats tracked by your fitness tracker.
This app is categorized into five tabs: Today, Community, Discover, Premium, and Covid-19. The Today tab hosts all of your information and stats for the current day. You’ll view your floors climbed, steps taken, calories burned, Active Zone Minutes, distance traveled, stress, exercises, heart rate, and any other thing that your Fitbit tracks.
Tap any of the metrics to access detailed weekly summaries and graphs on your preferred metric. The Community tab is usually a mini social network. You’ll have a chance to join groups with like-minded people based on your goals. The Discover tab contains challenges, mindfulness sessions, guided workouts and programs, and wellness reports. Finally, Fitbit gives helpful resources and info regarding the Covid-19 pandemic.
Related: Best Fitbit for Men
How to Update Fitbit App
Is an Update Available For Your Fitbit?
If you’ve charged your device and you’re running the latest version of the Fitbit app, there are several ways you can use to find if there’s an update in your Fitbit device:
- After launching the phone app that’s paired with your gadget, you may notice a banner on the Dashboard saying, ‘Firmware update available.
- You can tap the ‘Account’ icon in the top-left. This will help you to access settings. If there’s an update, you’ll see a banner saying ‘Update Tracker Software’. Tap the banner to start updating.
Check if you have the Latest Version of the Fitbit Phone App
Before you start updating, you need to check if the Fitbit app on your phone is the latest version. Here’s how to check:
- Click the app store.
- Search ‘Fitbit’. Once you’ve located the app, check if you see an option to update.
- If the update is available, tap update, and it will start installing, and your phone will be operating on the latest version. For the updates to be successful, your gadget needs to be charged at least 50%.
It’s advisable to keep your Fitbit in its charging dock to ensure it completes any updates fully.
How to Update Fitbit App on iPhone
If you want to enjoy new features and fix bugs, you need to keep your app updated with the latest version. Here’s how to update your Fitbit app on iPhone:
- Tap the App Store app
- Click the Updates tab; if the Fitbit app has an update, it will be available in the ‘Available Updates’ list
- Click update
How to Update Fitbit App on Android
If your Android Fitbit app needs an update, here’s what you need to do:
- Tap the Play Store app
- Click or Tap the menu symbol in the top left corner
- Click My apps and games. If the app needs an update, it will be available in the Updates list
- Click Update
How to Update Fitbit App on Your Computer
- Select Troubleshooting; you’ll be pushed to a screen to check for updates
- Run a quick check to determine if they’re all up to date
- If there’s an update, follow the instruction to install the updates
- Keep your device close to your computer, and a progress bar will appear on both the Connect and device until it’s completed
How to Update Fitbit Firmware
Firmware updates are available when the Fitbit app is running in the background. Here’s how to perform Fitbit firmware update:
- Open the Fitbit app
- Tap the Today tab, click your profile picture, then device picture
- Click the pink refresh button, which is available when there’s an update
- Follow the instruction on the device’s screen. Ensure you keep your Fitbit device near your tablet, phone, or PC during the update
- You will notice a progress bar in the Fitbit app, and your device
Fixing Fitbit App Update Problems
If you’re Fitbit fails to update, here are some crucial tips that can fix your problem:
- Ensure the device’s battery life is above 50%
- Get a reliable internet connection
- Try to restart your tracker
- Try the firmware update again; it may be successful in the second attempt
If you depend on your favorite Fitbit tracker to work out smoothly, then you need to keep it updated at all times.
Hopefully, this article will help you to enjoy the coolest Fitbit features as soon as they’re released during Fitbit updates.